Evlution Nutrition Lean Mode fat burner
Evlution Nutrition markets Lean Mode as a stimulant free fat burner with 5 main ingredients. The product claims to have both fat burning and appetite suppressing properties. Following from my review you can read my final verdict on how effective this fat burner is.
- Contains some proven thermogenics like green tea and green coffee bean extract
- No proprietary blend – ingredients and amounts clearly displayed
- Competitively priced
- Claims to be stimulant free – this is not strictly true as it contains green tea
- Gelatin capsules – not suitable for vegetarians
- Lack of evidence supporting the benefits of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Garcinia Cambogia and CLA
- Lack of research looking at the long-term side effects of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Garcinia Cambogia and CLA
- One bottle won’t last you for a month if you take 2 servings per day
Check out my #1 recommended fat burner supplement – Instant Knockout
What other people say about this product
Amazon customers who purchased this product rated it very favorably. It has received 4.2 stars out of 5 from over 600 reviewers. Not bad at all, but I would treat those reviews with caution, that say they have noticed a difference only after a few days. If this was the case this product would be a miracle pill, which it is not.
It’s good news that there are a lot of recent reviews which means customers are still buying this product.
Dosage – How to take Evlution Nutrition Lean Mode fat burner
You can buy Lean Mode either in a 30 capsule bottle or a 150 capsule bottle. One serving is 3 capsules and the recommended dose is 1 to 2 servings per day. As per the manfuacturer’s recommendation, take one serving in the morning 30 minutes before the first meal and one serving in the afternoon 30 minutes before the evening meal. A bottle of 150 capsules should last you 25 days if you take 2 servings per day.
The product is competitively priced. Depending on which online retailer you are buying it from, it can cost you anywhere between $18 and $24 or around £20 to £25 for a bottle of 150 capsules. A bottle will last you 25 days.
If you are buying the product from the company’s website it seems a bit more expensive at $35 for a bottle of 150 capsules.
Where can I buy it?
You can buy this product from a number of online retailers including Amazon and Ebay as well as on the company’s website. The shipping and return terms and conditions will vary from one seller to another so read the small print before you buy.
Lean Mode’s formula is quite clean with only 5 ingredients. There are 4 main ingredients in this fat burner at 500 mg per serving of each and an additional ingredient at 250 mg per serving.
Garcinia Cambogia has been linked to weight loss due to it’s suggested ability to curb appetite and it’s suggested ability to inhibit fat production in the body. Some evidence also shows that Garcinia Cambogia does this by elevating serotonin levels in the body which in turn also decreases appetite1,2.
There’s a lack of conclusive and robust evidence that this ingredient is effective in achieving weight loss as some studies have only found a small amount of short-term weight loss in participants.
Green Coffee Bean Extract
The formula also contains green coffee bean extract of 500 mg per 3 capsules. Green coffee beans contain a chemical called chlorogenic acid. A number of human studies have shown this component’s ability to reduce the absorption of carbohydrates from food, therefore aiding weight loss3. The daily amount seems sufficiently high to achieve results.
CLA or Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a type of fat that the human body can’t produce. We get it from eating meat and dairy products. CLA has been linked to fat loss in animal studies and some human studies whilst still preserving muscle mass.
These studies have revealed promising results. However, there are only a few human studies looking at the long-term effects of CLA and not many investigating it’s potential side effects. Participants of human studies showing promising results of fat loss were taking 3 to 4 g of CLA per day to achieve fat loss of around 1 pound a month.
This amount is 3 to 4 times higher than what Lean Mode contains when you take a daily dose of 2 servings.Therefore, the effectiveness of this component is questionable.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is an amino acid that is naturally produced by the body. Other companies have made claims that this form of L-Carnitine is absorbed faster than the standard L-Carnitine and therefore it is a more effective ingredient to use.
There is some supporting evidence found by studies that Acetyl-L-Carnitine can help to reduce the body’s carbohydrate consumption. Research suggests that it increases the use of fat stores to use as energy instead. However, this seems to be linked to exercise and will depend on the intensity of the activity4.
Despite some promising research, there’s still very little supporting evidence showing Acetyl-L-Carnitine as an effective fat burner ingredient.
Green Tea Extract
The final ingredient in the formula is green tea extract. It is a natural ingredient that has plenty of research evidence backing its effectiveness. It works by increasing the body’s own metabolic rate, enabling it to burn more fat5. However, the product contains 250 mg of this ingredient in a serving of 3 capsules. If you are only taking 1 serving per day this is a relatively low amount and therefore may not be very effective.
Find out what really works and what to avoid on
Potential side effects of Evlution Nutrition Lean Mode fat burner
Due to its ability to elevate serotonin levels, Garcinia Cambogia can cause potential problems when people are taking it with certain antidepressant drugs. Furthermore, there is little research into the potential side effects of CLA or Acetyl-L-Carnitine especially when combined with stimulants such as green tea.
Final Verdict on Evlution Nutrition Lean Mode fat burner
After careful consideration, I would give this product a respectable 3.5 out of 5 possible stars.
The product contains only 5 ingredients with their amounts clearly shown on the label. This is great stuff. No nasty ingredients either, like synephrine or bitter orange. However, the list of ingredients is not as impressive as I’d like it to be.
The majority of Lean Mode’s ingredients are thermogenics. Whilst there is some promising research evidence out there in support of their effectiveness, the results of human studies are not conclusive. There’s a definite need for more in-depth research not only to prove their effectiveness but also to identify their potential long-term side effects.
Green tea extract is the only proven, safe and natural fat burner ingredient in the formula. However, the amount is on the low side if you are only taking 1 serving per day. The product claims to be stimulant free, but this is not strictly true. Green tea is still classed as a stimulant and it contains a small amount of caffeine.
The capsules of this fat burner contain gelatin which makes it unsuitable for vegetarians.
Evlution Nutrition’s Lean Mode fat burner is competitively priced. On the other hand, the lack of proven and well-researched ingredients in the formula is a downside of this product. This makes it a less favourable choice compared to other competitor products.
In addition to this, the lack of understanding around these ingredients’ potential side effects is also a cause for concern.
Finally, if you decide to take 1 serving per day a bottle of 150 capsules will last you 50 days. However, if you decide to take 2 servings per day, the same bottle will only last you 25 days which is less than a month’s supply.
Check out my #1 recommended fat burner supplement – Instant Knockout
- A great natural product with an impressive list of ingredients
- Highly effective thermogenic ingredients combined with proven and natural appetite suppressant ingredients
- Helps you cut more fat and achieve impressive results
- Gives you a great boost of energy before workouts
Read the full review on Instant Knockout
Supplements should never be taken in place of a healthy diet and regular physical activity. You should always aim to get these two key pillars right first.
If you need some help with exercise, you can check out my post on Muscle Building and Fat Burning Exercises.
Alternatively, you might want to invest in an online workout guide like Boss Workouts or hire a personal trainer if you prefer that.
You can also check out my post on healthy meal ideas in aid of weight loss if you need some inspiration.
1. Hibino, S., Takahashi, Y., Watanabe, M., Yonei, Y. and Yoshioka, T. (2008). Effects on the Human Body of a Dietary Supplement Containing L-Carnitine and Garcinia cambogia Extract: A Study using Double-blind Tests. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, Vol. 42, Issue 2.
2. Ernst, E., Kang Hung, S., Onakpoya, I., Perry, R. and Wider, B. (2011). The Use of Garcinia Extract (Hydroxycitric Acid) as a Weight loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials. Journal of Obesity.
3. Thom, E. (2007). The effect of chlorogenic acid enriched coffee on glucose absorption in healthy volunteers and its effect on body mass when used long-term in overweight and obese people. The Journal of International Medical Research, Vol. 35, Issue 6, pp. 900-908.
4. Constantin-Teodosiu, D., Greenhaff, P. L., Macdonald, I. A., Marimuthu, K., Stephens, F. B. and Wall, B. T. (2011).
Chronic oral ingestion of l‐carnitine and carbohydrate increases muscle carnitine content and alters muscle fuel metabolism during exercise in humans. The Journal of Physiology
5. Cardoso, G. A., Cesar, Mde C., Donado-Pestana, C. M. and Salgado, J.M. (2013). The effects of green tea consumption and resistance training on body composition and resting metabolic rate in overweight or obese women. Journal of Medicinal Food, Vol. 16, Issue 2, pp. 171-178.